I have always loved Christmas. It goes back to my mom, I suppose. She always decorated everything up pretty, even when we lived in a transformed chicken coop with no bathroom. She'd get a can of that spray snow and make the windows look all frosty. Somehow I felt all warm and cozy inside those frosted windows.
As an adult, I never had that kind of window - the ones with the little panes that make up a larger, composite window of lots of little square panes. I've tried frosting regular windows, and while it works, it just doesn't have the same feel. Maybe it's because it was my parents' home, and nothing will ever be like it.
Now, this year, it's just my husband and myself. I decided to change things up a bit and had a heart attack on Thanksgiving evening, so just haven't had the energy to do much with the decorations. Cute Jay brought in the boxes with the decorations, but I've only gotten out a few things, the rest are still sitting there in the boxes. It's coming gradually, but I just don't have the energy. And the most surprising thing is, I don't seem to care.
Other years I would have gone nuts, being this far into December and not having any outside lights up yet, or at least the tree done and standing in front of the living room window to say Merry Christmas to all who pass by. But it just doesn't seem to matter so much this year. It's gotten so cold, it's not right to ask the husband to go out and get up on a ladder and do all that work and freeze his fingers and nose and ears.
Then, to make matters more convenient, on the news last night they suggested not turning on our outside lights right now (other than the porch light) because it is so cold and they don't want there to be an energy shortage. I'd hate to be the cause of someone's power going out because there wasn't enough. (Does that sound sincere?)
But, there's still plenty of time. This year, if we can just get the tree up I'll feel like we "decorated" for Christmas. I still love Christmas, it's just harder when you get really tired, really easily. I am NOT getting old! Who said that? Hmph.
I hope your Christmas Season is delightful.
3 comments:
I have found my decorations getting smaller and smaller since I don't have kids around. When there is no one to surprise it just isn't the same. Actually I enjoy NOT having the extra work to do. I want my lights to be one for a little while at night. How many hours would you say is all right? 2?
Can I come over and decorate for you? I'd love to!
Post a Comment